Saturday, August 9, 2008

Trip to Seattle

It's a rainy Saturday here in Juneau. I'm sitting here watching the Olympics and being lazy. Thought I should update my blog.
Steve and I went to Washington state on July 31st and got home on Tuesday night. I've been busy since with work and home stuff, and am just now unpacked. We had such a great time, it was sunny and hot. Well, not Texas hot, but hot for us Alaskans. :-) Thrifty car rentals was having a special, so we upgraded to a sporty little blue convertible fro just a little more money. Oh was it worth it! It was so much fun to drive around with the top down.
We went to Pikes Market in Seattle, the first time we drove ourselves to get the lay of the land, then decided to take the city bus the next day. I'm glad we did, parking was insane. And people! I'm not used to seeing that many people anymore, it's fun to just watch them. We ate at the Market, at Lowells. There was a couple from Houston eating at the table next to us, it was fun to chat with them...loved hearing the accent. :-) We took the ferry to Whidbey Island the next day...and found another Saturday Farmers Market. It was more my style, slower paced and less people. I got a fabulous mug there. Leaving Whidbey we took another ferry to Port Townsend and drove to Port Angeles. It was such a nice drive..again with the top down. We went to Victoria, BC the next day. My oh my was it nice. We happened to be there on their 150 year anniversary, there was a huge celebration with people everywhere. They had people saving their seats at 10:00 am for fireworks that would be late that night. Concerts, food, antique fire trucks, and fun. I took tons and tons of pictures, the buildings were amazing.
We left Port Angeles and drove to Ocean shores... stopping at the Hoh rain forest on the way. Driving on the beach was so much fun, I remember when Bill and Shelly and I used to do that on Galveston Island long ago.
We had a great time, soaked up lots of sun, I got a tanned face and arms, and Steve's head got burnt. Now we're home to rain, but that's ok. It's home.
Here are some pictures. I have too many from Victoria, so I will post them later.





I love barns, and I got these pictures on Whidbey Island from the car.
I love this picture of these kids just having fun..one of the group was telling them all to jump, and he was taking their picture. So was I! :-)

1 comment:

Hannah Hosh said...

Looks like you had a great time! Love the photos, especially the beach ones. So glad you're back though- we missed you!